The 2013 – 2104 academic year is off to a fast start. Faculty came back to campus on the 22nd of August and we had a retreat followed by a social gathering of the faculty and staff of the School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. Changes for the upcoming year include:
- Dr. David Wing taking over as Chair of the Department of Biology.
New faculty members:
- Dr. Karen Adams, Assistant Professor of Mathematics
- Dr. Jacquelyn Cole, Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- Dr. Kyle Hassler, Lecturer in Chemistry
- Dr. Sangho Park, Visiting Assistant Professor of Computer Engineering
- Dr. Laura Robertson, Assistant Professor of Biology
- Dr. Perry Wood, Lecturer in Mathematics
Departures of faculty members:
- Dr. Christopher Elmer, Assistant Professor of Mathematics
- Dr. Seung-yun Kim, Assistant Professor of Computer Engineering
On Friday August 23rd Shepherd held the final registration session and the academic convocation for new students. The School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics welcomed a total of 77 new students. Biology was by far the most popular major with 61 new students. Computer science, mathematics and engineering welcomed 47 new students while 18 new environmental sciences majors and 11 new chemistry majors joined us.
Classes started on the 26th and have been moving full speed since then. All of us are excited at the prospect of the upcoming year. We look forward to working with our new and returning students. A number of students are already talking with faculty about conducting research in their labs and I know that great things will come from these collaborations. The student organizations are starting to plan for the upcoming year and if this year is like last year there will be a lot for students to become involved in with the different clubs and organizations in their major and others that fit specific interests.
Look for updates on student and faculty activities in coming blogs.